Dhauli Giri Shanti Stupa, also known as Peace Pagoda, is a Buddhist structure built jointly in 1972 by the Japan Buddha Sangh and the Kalinga Nippon Buddha Sangh. Situated on the opposite hill of Dhauli Giri, it was built through the Indo-Japanese collaboration. Constructed by the chief priest of Nipponzan Myohoji, who came to India in 1930 from Mt. Minobu, the original holy place of the Nichiren Sect, it is a domed structure.
Stupa is domed on top with mushroom-like structures and adorned with 'speaking' stone panels. Reclining Buddha, an elephant procession, the bodhi tree and footprints of Buddha bearing the chakra (wheel) adorn the main stone panels. The panels also comprise a sleeping beauty fanned by female attendants, procession on horseback and Emperor Ashoka renouncing war by offering his sword to Lord Buddha at Dhauli Giri. Saddharma Vihar Monastery, the ancient sculptures and varied extraordinary art forms are also located at the site. An old Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Dhavaleshwar, which was reconstructed in 1972, is located beyond the stupa.